Mediterranean Mozzarella Chicken
Double it up for a great sit down meal with friends. Works great with a side of roasted miniature potatoes and salad. Tip: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat and serve.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half an onion, chopped
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- A handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 120g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180C Fan/400°F/Gas mark 6, and get a frying pan warmed up to a low heat while you prepare the ingredients.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onion softens. Add the chopped tomatoes, basil leaves and stock then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer (no lid) for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken (it may need longer if making in bigger batches).
3. Meanwhile, butterfly the chicken breasts so they are no thicker than 2cm deep and place them in an oven-proof dish. Cover the chicken with the sauce from the pan and add the mozzarella to cover the chicken. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through (chicken should be white throughout) and the cheese has melted.