Mediterranean Vegetable Lasagne
- 1 aubergine
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 courgette
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- Handful of basil
- 40g grated cheddar cheese
- 35g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 lasagne sheets
- 100ml boiled water
- Salt and pepper to season
- For the white sauce:
- 20g butter
- 20g flour
- 200ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C(fan)/gas 7
2. Chop the pepper, aubergine and courgette into bite size pieces.
3. Finely chop the garlic
4. Heat some olive oil in a large pan (medium-high heat) and add the pepper, aubergine and courgette. Add a large pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 mins until the veg is starting to brown and caramelise.
5. While the veg are cooking, make the white sauce: Melt 20g of butter in pan over medium heat. Once melted at 20g flour and stir for 1-2 mins until it forms a paste. Whisk 200ml of milk gradually into the paste and cook for 5 mins until it becomes a smooth, thick sauce. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in your grated cheddar cheese.
6. Once the veg are caramelised, add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, garlic and boiled water.
7. Cook for 3-4 mins until it thickens.
8. Chop the basil stalks and add them to the pan.
9. Layer the vegetable sauce over the bottom of an ovenproof dish then top with 3 lasagne sheets. Repeat this process until you end up with a final layer of lasagne sheets.
10. Top with the cheese sauce making sure all of the lasagne is covered. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
11. Cook in the oven for 30-35 mins or until the lasagne is cooked.
12. Allow the lasagne to cool a little after removing from the oven. Tear and sprinkle the basil leaves over the top. Serve and enjoy!