Classic Chilli Con Carne
- 500g beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml beef stock
- Red wine stock cube (optional)
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 400g kidney beans
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
1. Add the onion to a large saucepan with a little bit of oil and cook until the onion starts to go translucent.
2. Add the mince and fry for 5 mins. Press the mince against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon to break it up.
3. Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin and coriander and cook for one minute.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Add the stock and the wine stock, tinned tomatoes and kidney beans.
6. Add the tomato purée, sugar, oregano and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Simmer (loosely covered by a lid) for 45 minutes.
8. Serve with rice.