Baked eggs with tomato and basil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Small bunch of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- Salt & pepper to season
- Crusty bread for dipping
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and put the ovenproof dish in to warm.
2. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
3. Slowly sauté in a frying pan until soft.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and caster sugar and bring to a simmer.
5. Stir in two thirds of the basil and season to taste.
6. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens
7. Transfer the sauce to an ovenproof dish.
8. Make 6 wells in the sauce and break and egg into each one. Grind a little black pepper over them.
9. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes or until the eggs whites are set and the yolks still a little soft.
10. Sprinkle over the remaining basil and serve with crust bread.